Mission Health, a division of HCA Healthcare, in Asheville, NC welcomes applications to join the Mission Hospital team as our next Assistant Chief Nursing Officer - Behavioral Health.
Join a team of dedicated staff that are driven by a common mission: Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life. Learn more about our Mental & Behavioral Health Care services HERE!
This is an exciting leadership opportunity to lead the behavioral health nursing team (total of 200+ team members), ensuring quality and a high level of patient satisfaction. This role serves as a nursing partner with the VP of Behavioral Health Services focusing on program development, strategic initiatives, and the Behavioral Health hospital building project as we move towards a freestanding model.
The Assistant Chief Nursing Officer (ACNO), Behavioral Health Services (BH), is a key member of the leadership team who will provide leadership, ensure delivery of consistent and high-quality patient care, be responsible for management of resources, overall patient experience and employee engagement that ensures congruence with the mission and vision of the organization. The ACNO maintains 24-hour responsibility for clinical, operational and nursing management oversight for Behavioral Health services and will participate is strategic planning, and development of growth initiatives.
We are currently on the Journey to Magnet, a recognition program that recognizes healthcare organizations for quality patient care, nursing excellence, and innovations in professional nursing practice.
Supports HCA/Mission Health by:
Operations and Outcomes
- Participates in developing and managing the BH nursing services budget and ensuring sufficient number of qualified staff to assess patient needs
- Ensures that continuous performance improvement initiatives are designed to measure and improve the quality of care delivered and are consistent with the organization priorities
- Works collaboratively with other patient care and support departments, fostering a climate of open communication and mutual problem solving activities. Initiates and participates in joint performance improvement activities
- Assists in managing costs by continually seeking data that will identify opportunities and take action to eliminate non-value costs
- Assumes primary responsibility for projects or task groups as assigned, keeping colleagues informed of the progress toward desired outcome
- Actively participates with others in planning activities associated with design or implementation of renovation or new construction of patient care areas
- Assists in planning new services that generate additional sources of profitable revenue
- Represents the service line and nursing services at meetings as deemed necessary; participates with department leaders in designing and providing patient care and services
- Fosters independence and autonomy in all staff members in areas of responsibility. Actively seeks those activities which promote/encourage independent thinking/problem solving behaviors
- Assumes responsibility for continuing education and developmental needs
- Participates in professional organizations and community healthcare related organizations
- Assumes the role of preceptor/instructor for undergraduate or graduate nursing students upon request
- Serves as a positive, professional role model
- Regularly rounds on key constituents (patients, families, employees, and physicians) to enhance communication, ensure alignment, oversee operations, and that the experience is exceptional.
- In collaboration with the Nursing and service line leadership, formulates policies and procedures consistent with recognized standards of professional practice and reflecting the intent of regulatory standards and maintain authority, accountability, and responsibility for nursing services Demonstrates expertise in mental health promotion and maintenance of high quality, comprehensive patient care
- Actively involved in creating a professional practice environment that encourages recruitment and retention of staff in the nursing department
- Assists in providing leadership to nurse employees that will engage their support, create ownership of goals, and have them actively participate in decisions that impact their practice
- Fosters a culture conducive to evidence-based practice and clinical research.
- Ensures follow-up to patient complaints and occurrence reports is thorough and timely. Identifies system problems that may contribute to errors and monitors corrective actions to ensure effective resolution.
- Collaborates with nursing educators to ensure that identified learning needs of the nursing staff are promptly addressed and that orientees receive the proper preparation to become independent practitioners
- Develops and maintains close working relationships with physician colleagues and other healthcare providers in assigned areas. Collaborates with these individual to set goals for the areas or develops action plans for patient care or system improvements
- Promoting consistent positive patient interactions that advance the agenda of increased patient satisfaction
- Practicing and adhering to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”
- Bachelor's degree Nursing Required.
- Master's degree in nursing or another appropriate post graduate health science degree is required or proof of enrollment with a written plan to advanced degree completion is required.
5+ years of experience in management and supervisory nursing role; most recent 3 of the last 5 years of leadership must have been in a direct leadership role in a hospital setting or direct patient care environment. Behavioral Health experience preferred.
Current Registered Nurse license without restrictions
- Specialty certification in Executive Nursing Practice and/or Healthcare Administration
- Membership in American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE)
ABOUT MISSION HEALTH
Mission Health, an operating division of HCA Healthcare, is based in Asheville, North Carolina, and is the state’s sixth largest health system. Mission Health operates six hospitals, numerous outpatient and surgery centers, post-acute care provider CarePartners, long-term acute care provider Asheville Specialty Hospital and the region’s only dedicated Level II trauma center. With approximately 12,000 colleagues and 2,000 volunteers, Mission Health is dedicated to improving the health and wellness of the people of western North Carolina. For more information, please visit missionhealth.org or @MissionHealthNC.
Mission Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other protected characteristic.