Ready to Volunteer?
We are delighted that you’re interested in volunteering at Mission! We do have a few requirements that must be met before you can become a volunteer.
To volunteer at Mission, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older, with the exception of Junior Volunteers, who must be 14 or older.
- Commit to 70 hours or four months of volunteer service.
- Undergo successful verification of references and a criminal background check.
- Complete the “Steps to Become an Adult/College Volunteer” as outlined below.
Steps To Become An Adult Volunteer
Step 1 – Complete and submit a volunteer application.
Step 2 – Attend an adult volunteer orientation session to learn about the role of volunteers at Mission and to meet volunteer educational and safety requirements.
Step 3 – Attend an interview session with a Mission Volunteer Services staff member who will contact you once your application and references have been received. This interview gives us the opportunity to get to know you so that we can find the best placement to benefit both you and the hospital.
Step 4 – Complete required TB testing. This testing is offered free of charge at Staff Health.
Step 5 – Attend department-specific training for your volunteer position.
If you have any questions about this application process, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. One of our staff members will be happy to help. Once you have completed all of the above steps, you’ll be ready to start volunteering!
Already a Volunteer?
Click here to access Volgistics self scheduling portal.
Benefits of Volunteering
For many people in Asheville and the surrounding communities, volunteering at Mission is an important and valuable part of their routines. We try to make volunteering possible for anyone who is interested by offering flexible schedules and work hours as well as a variety of volunteer options to suit different personalities, interests and skill sets. We even have opportunities available for couples to volunteer together!
Our volunteers gain a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment from the work they do here — being able to help people feel better is one of the greatest “perks” of our work.
Other incentives include:
- New and lasting friendships with other volunteers and staff
- Firsthand experience working in an award-winning hospital
- Active involvement in an important community service
- Enhanced job skills and resume
Mission also offers a number of other benefits to our volunteers:
- Free annual flu vaccine, TB test and health fair
- Free Mission meal ticket (must meet required hours of service)
- Discounts to Mission’s Gift and Bean Shops
- Mission Medical Center Pharmacy discount on prescription and over-the-counter drugs
- Free volunteer uniform
- Discounts from local merchants
- Mission newsletters
- Invitations to special events and social activities
- Opportunities to participate in educational classes
- Annual award and recognition events
- Flexible hours in a warm, friendly working environment