Mission Possible 2019:
July 10-26, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (Beginning Wednesday, July 10)
Mission Possible is a collaborative venture between Mission Hospital, Asheville City Schools, Buncombe County Schools and private schools located in Buncombe County. Mission Possible is designed to ensure student success by providing academic enrichment and career exploration opportunities in a healthcare setting for students entering 11th and 12th grades (rising juniors and seniors). Mission is committed to working with local students to meet the healthcare needs of tomorrow.
By increasing the students’ interest in and preparation for healthcare careers, we are working to more effectively meet future demands for healthcare professionals in our community. Collaborating with our local schools allows us to create partnerships in and out of the classroom to ensure that students are aware of career opportunities right here in western North Carolina.
Mission Possible Objectives
- Develop an awareness of the diverse career opportunities available in the healthcare industry
- Educate students on the skills necessary to obtain and sustain employment in the healthcare field
- Educate students on the educational requirements, certification and training necessary to be eligible for future healthcare positions
- Engage students in first-hand healthcare experiences through observation, hands-on activities and participatory learning (rotations)
- Provide students with career consultation
- Promote healthy lifestyle choices by encouraging individual responsibility for maintaining one’s own health and wellness
- Direct students to healthcare-related employment opportunities as a pipeline into careers at Mission
- Develop an awareness of education assistance and scholarship funding available for pursuit of healthcare careers
- Increase students’ awareness of the multicultural needs of a diverse patient and employee population
Mission Possible 2019: July 10-26, Weekdays 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Mission Possible is a cohort of 30 students who are interested in and passionate about pursuing a career in healthcare. The program is hosted on the campus of Mission Hospital in Asheville, North Carolina.
The 2019 cohort will be held 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. beginning Wednesday, July 10, 2019 and ending Friday, July 26, 2019. A morning snack and lunch will be provided daily. In addition, the program covers the cost of scrubs and materials. All students selected for Mission Possible receive a monetary gift upon successful completion of the program.
An informational meeting about the program will be held for the selected students and their parents or guardians in advance of the start date. This session will provide an overview of the program, review the curriculum and explain participant expectations.
Mission Possible Curriculum
During the two and half week session, students will discover and explore many types of healthcare professions. The program relies on a combination of different types of learning experiences, with a significant emphasis on interactive, experiential, and participatory activities.
Orientation to Mission Health
Mission Hospital is the flagship hospital of Mission Health, serving 18 counties in western North Carolina. Participants will learn about:
- Our culture
- Our continuum of services
- Diversity and generational differences
- Safety and infection prevention
- Mission’s strategic priorities, the future of healthcare and exciting new projects, presented by Mission’s Senior Leaders and other staff
Healthcare Career Exploration and Promotion
Participants will have an opportunity to tour and learn about nearly 50 different clinical and nonclinical areas of the hospital. These may include: Emergency Services, Respiratory, Nursing, Cancer Center, Rehabilitation, Pediatrics, Radiology, Surgical Services and many more. Students will interact with healthcare professionals and hear about career paths and opportunities, educational requirements and special technology for each area. Additional topics will include professional development and interview skills, along with information about scholarships and educational assistance presented by the College Foundation of NC, all designed to help each student begin to plan for and reach their healthcare career goals. In addition, the program will focus on health, wellness and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
Students will work together in groups to prepare presentations on a relevant healthcare topic (about their learning experiences). At the completion of the program, students will deliver their presentations for family members, school representatives and Mission staff at a graduation ceremony.
The application for Mission Possible 2019 will be available on this web page in December to be completed electronically.
Applications will be due Monday, March 11, 2019.
Stay tuned for the electronic application in early December.
Please review the following information to determine eligibility:
Only rising 11th and 12th grade students with an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher who are residents of Asheville/Buncombe County will be considered. Students must be in both good behavioral and academic standing. Each applicant must submit an application via our online submission form, which will be available in December.
Mission Hospital team members will work in conjunction with school representatives to review student transcripts and applications and interview each student who meets the GPA requirement. Interviews will begin in late March and students will be notified of their acceptance by early May.
Preference for selection will be given to students who:
- Have a strong desire to pursue a career in healthcare
- Have an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have participated in community or extracurricular school activities
- Have well written essays describing why you wish to be chosen for Mission Possible
- Have taken honors classes and Advanced Placement classes
- Have access to reliable transportation and/or the city bus system (bus passes are available as needed)